Sunday, October 08, 2006

 

Lockhart, TX

Smitty's Market
208 south Commerce St. Lockhart TX
512 398 9344

Closes at 6pm daily.







I had read this article on the internet a while back and being somewhat of a barbecue connoisseur, it stuck in my mind, and I made a note that if I'm ever in the area I should try and eat at this barbecue restaurant. Well I was in the area (Austin is only a half hour drive away) and it pretty much lived up to the hype. You order your meat from the guys at the pit in the back and you pay by weight. You can choose a combination of brisket, ribs and sausage. Then your order drinks and sides from the counter in the dining area. I had brisket and an avocado with sweet tea, JP had ribs and we split the sausage. Your meat comes on brown paper and you sit at big tables and eat it with plastic knives and dos manos. The sausage was really good and the brisket was great - the lean slice with the crust is divinely salty smoky delicious. This is one of those places were they are a little snobby about sauce (the idea being that the meat is so perfect it doesn't need sauce, and I thought the brisket truly was, I enjoyed it straight up, with no added seasoning) but it is available upon request. And the avocado was delicious to boot.

As you can tell, I loved this place, and even bought the tshirt, which smelled good enough to eat days later.




* The website is Smittysmarket.com, but it is not working right now even though I used it a week ago to get the address.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?